What Causes Halitosis?September 30, 2022 6:25 pm
Have you noticed that your breath smells bad and you can’t seem to get rid of it? Many people suffer from halitosis (chronic bad breath). There are many factors that could be contributing to your halitosis. Once the cause is identified, you can receive the proper treatment for your case. Here’s what you need to know about halitosis!
What Is Halitosis?
Halitosis is persistent bad breath that can feel nearly impossible to get rid of. Breath mints and mouthwash don’t hold a candle to it. Typically, halitosis is the sign of a bigger, more serious oral health issue. If you’re suffering from halitosis, it’s important to track down the cause of it as quickly as possible before the oral health issue worsens any further.
Common Causes of Bad Breath
Wondering what can cause halitosis? Some of the most common factors include:
- Cavities – Cavities will eat away at teeth, causing them to erode and smell
- Chronic dry mouth – Decreased saliva production can create a breeding ground for bad, smelly bacteria
- Gum disease & other dental infections – Infections can wreak havoc on your oral health and mouth pH
- Poor oral hygiene – If you don’t brush your teeth and floss, trapped food debris can start to decompose and cause plaque to form
- Tonsil stones – Food and bacteria can get trapped in the crevices of your tonsils, creating foul odors
- Tobacco usage – Frequent tobacco usage can leave a residual odor in your mouth and potentially cause gum disease and other infections
Schedule an Appointment with Our Team!
At River City Dental, we understand that halitosis can cause patients to feel self-conscious. Our team can help identify the cause and craft a specialized treatment plan just for you. We want you to feel confident and secure when you smile and it’s our goal to help you achieve that. Please contact our office to schedule your halitosis consultation.