How Do I Know If I Need a Root Canal?May 16, 2023 7:17 pm
If you’re experiencing tooth pain or other issues with a specific tooth, you may be wondering if you need a root canal. Here’s what you need to know about this tooth-saving treatment!
How Do Root Canals Work?
Root canal therapy may sound intimidating, but it’s nothing to fear! During a root canal treatment, dentists make a small hole in the top chewing surface of the tooth to access the root canal. From there, they’ll clean out and remove any damaged nerve tissue and fill in the space with a gutta percha material. After root canal therapy, dentists may cement a crown on the tooth to help support the structure.
Common Signs You May Need a Root Canal
When it comes to damaged tooth roots, there are a few signs and symptoms you can watch out for that may indicate the need for root canal therapy. The most common include:
- Serious Tooth Decay: Deep dental decay and cavities can potentially injure the nerve, which would require root canal therapy to repair and save and tooth
- Severe Tooth Pain: If you are experiencing chronic, long-lasting tooth pain when you bite down or apply pressure, it may indicate nerve damage
- Sudden Tooth Discoloration: If you have a darkened, discolored tooth, it can be a sign that the nerve inside your tooth is severely damaged or dying
- Swollen Gums: Swollen, tender gums around a tooth can potentially point to a serious infection or damaged nerve inside the tooth
- Tooth Sensitivity: Extreme tooth sensitivity to hot or cold can be a sign of nerve issues that need to be addressed
It’s important to note that not all cases of nerve damage or nerve pain need a root canal to correct. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above, it’s best to visit a dentist for a consultation to determine the best treatment option for your specific needs.
Trusted, Gentle Root Canal Therapy in Fort Smith, AR
At River City Dental, we proudly offer a wide range of dental services for our Fort Smith community, including root canal therapy. Our skilled team works with a gentle touch and goes above and beyond to accommodate each patient’s unique smile! Please reach out to our office to schedule a root canal consultation. We look forward to helping you get your smile back on track!